A look through the past, present, and future of St. James Baptist Church
The idea to form a church in a section of Greensboro then called DlNGLAND was originated and spearheaded through Rev. J. T. Hairston who was then pastor of Shiloh Baptist Church located then on Ashe Street. Many people living in the Dingland area attended Shiloh. Later on, the name Dingland changed to New Town. In May 1906, the land was purchased from Jerry and Manerva Shoffner for $250.00. In March 1912 the trustees, Mr. James Allen, Mr. James Land and Mr. Lewis Trice had the deed recorded and filed for registration in the Guilford County Courthouse. Through the efforts of Mr. C. C. Rucker, who chaired the board, construction on the church began in 1913. He was assisted by the community and area churches. Because of the red siding on the outside of our church, and possibly the red mud of the street we were called the “Little Red Church on the Hill”. The first church had about 25 members. Sunday School was first held on Sunday morning, followed by two services at 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. You could hear the bell ringing out its invitation to those services every Sunday.
In December 1998 after 45 years of outstanding service as Pastor and community leader, Rev. Prince Edward Graves retired and became Pastor Emeritus of St. James Baptist Church. After Rev. Graves’ Retirement, the St. James Family prayfully sought a new pastor to continue the great work that the Lord began when the land for St. James was first purchased. In March, 2001, The St. James Family proudly installed Rev. Vernon C. King as our new Shepherd. Rev. King was born in Atlanta, Georgia and is a graduate of Morehouse College. He came to us from First Baptist Church in Fairmont, NC with his wife, Robin Scott King and their two daughters, Victoria and Venus. Under the leadership of Rev. Vernon King the church has continued to grow, numerically and financially, and the following new ministries were organized: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Birth Month Ministry, Men’s Mentoring Program, Mime Ministry, Parking Lot Committee, Pastor Support Ministry was reinstituted, Singles Ministry, Praise Team, Seniors’ Ministry and Web Page Ministry.
Without members a church does not survive. We thank God for the great people of our growing congregation. Over 101 years ago the land was purchased to begin a worship center on these grounds. Our founders worked hard and paved the way for us. For 96 years God has been blessing the efforts and industry of the St. James Baptist Church Family. That same God is working with us now. Trusting in God who never changes, we are moving forward with God’s Plan.
Having been led, as we believe, by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, we do now, in the presence of God, Angels, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into this covenant with one another, as one body in Christ.
We engage, therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit, to walk together in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this church in knowledge and holiness; to give it a place in our affections, prayer and services above every organization of human origin; to sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline and doctrine; to contribute cheerfully and regularly, as God has prospered us, towards its expenses, for the support of a faithful and evangelical ministry among us, the relief of the poor and the spread of the Gospel throughout the world .. In case of difference of opinion in the church, we will strive to avoid a contentious spirit, and if we cannot unanimously agree, we will cheerfully recognize the right of the majority to govern.
We also engage to maintain family and secret devotion; to study diligently the word of God; to religiously educate our children; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintance to walk circumspectly in the world; to be kind and just to those in our employ, and faithful in the service we promise others; endeavoring in the purity of heart and good will towards all men to exemplify and commend our holy faith.
We further engage to watch over, to pray for, to exhort and stir up each other unto every good word and work; to guard each other’s reputation, not needlessly exposing the infirmities of others; to participate in each other’s joys, and with tender sympathy bear one another’s burdens and sorrows; to cultivate Christian courtesy; to be slow to give or take offense, but always ready for reconciliation, being mindful of the rules of the Saviour in the eighteenth chapter of Matthew, to secure it without delay; and through life, amid evil report, and good report, to seek to live to the glory of God, who hath called us out of darkness into his marvelous light.
When we move from this place, we engage as soon as possible to unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.
PH: (336) 273-0823
536 WEST FLORIDA ST GREENSBORO, NC 27406